VG Destiny Reviews, Impressions, and Opinions

Destiny Bungie Impressions Review #DTMedkit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Guest_Lostmixup_*

Guest_Lostmixup_*
  • Forum Guest

So with Destiny out and open to critique I figured it was time to start up this topic. Please post up reviews and impressions of what you think of Destiny (it doesn't have to be a large full scale review, just a simple opinion on the game). Respond to a review if you like but all casual conversations about Destiny should be taken to the appropriate forums.

Disclaimer: These are my first impressions not a full on review. All of my opinions could change after further playing the game.  

Destiny is the game everyone was waiting for; the game of the year, 10/10, monster that we wanted for the next generation of games. While it is a very good game, it isn't quite perfect.

Starting off with the story of the game: Destiny is set in our Solar System 700 or so years into the future. The human race has been able to colonize almost all of our solar system thanks to a magical floating white ball thing called "The Traveler." The Traveler made planets like Venus habitable to humans and other life through magic stuff called "The Light". This time of colonization and significant human advancement is called "The Golden Age." Our story takes place after what is known as "The Collapse" takes place, and event which drives humanity into one last city below The Traveler. You play as a "Guardian" a solider with the power of The Traveler's light magic stuff and it's your job to go out into the desolate place that is our solar system and defeat "The Darkness," a force that is comprised of a multitude of alien races that want the human race dead. 

To start off, the premise for this story is very storybook-esque. Everything here sounds like it was taken directly out of a children's story book and shoved into a game. The general execution of it in game is almost the same way, like you're being told a children's story. The game never actually bothers to go into detail about anything in it; throughout the game I had absolutely no idea who anyone was or why they were here, just that they're there and they're important to the story in some way. Let's take the mysterious female Exo Guardian who I will refer to as FEG (that's Female Exo Guardian) because she doesn't have an actual name in game. FEG comes into the story telling you to come see her if you finish the mission you're doing at the time alive, when you do go to see her she tells you what to do and is literally never seen again till the final cutscene in the game where (spoilers I guess) she randomly gives you her weapon. Everything and everyone is vague and uninteresting. In fact I'm having a hard time remembering any of the story at all because of how uninteresting it is. The story essentially boils down to: Traveler = Good, Darkness = Bad, you = good, you go and kill the darkness because it's bad, you win against one of the minions of the darkness, game over. That is literally the whole story; there's no twist, no deep plot at all; just you, an evil force to fight, and an AI companion voiced by Peter Dinklage who sounds very bored throughout the whole adventure.

Story aside, the game is a joy to play. I haven't experienced a game that is this enjoyable to play in a while. The controls are tight and responsive, the movement quick and versatile, killing enemies is simple and fun. Destiny nails the gameplay aspect strait into the wood. However some of the enemy, mission, and world design is a little lack luster.    

The enemies are varied but ultimately boil down to mini bullet sponges. The bosses are just larger versions of their mini bullet sponge counter parts, the only difference being attack power and health; the only interesting boss is the spider tank on earth, that's literally it. I found that the difficulty in Destiny doesn't come from the enemies developing new attacks, or new mobs showing up on harder difficulties, it comes from the enemies coming in larger numbers with beefy-er health bars and harder hitting guns. Is it hard? Yes it is; but it isn't fun hard. It's artificially hard. After the first time fighting a boss, it turns into a waiting game of shoot some enemies, shoot the boss, repeat. 

The design of the bosses and enemies is bothersome. The level design is great though. The levels are very expertly designed, with plenty of flank routes, places to take cover and plenty of room to massacre a group of enemies with one grenade (on easy). However while the whole world itself may have this good design throughout, the world itself is uninteresting. You'll soon figure out that exploring will only get you minimal rewards so it's best to stick on the path the game rail roads you down and finish whatever mission as soon as possible. With this lack of a reward for exploration patrol missions are boring and useless. Sure I can explore the world and do some side missions for little to no reward, but why would I? There's no point to it; yea it's all pretty and everything but there isn't anything there besides maybe a level 20 enemy waiting to kill me defending a chest that has nothing good in it. 

Missions in Destiny are pretty boring as well. The actual combat is great, I love fighting off the waves and waves of bullet sponges until I can push into the next area. However, the missions themselves are just not interesting. They're simple and boring; most of the time they end up with you walking up to something, have Peter Dinklage scan it for a minute, you shoot things until he's done, and then day is saved. Some missions end in a boss battle (which boils down to a 10 minute bullet sponge shoot out where you usually are constantly harassed by small fry enemies making the boss fight an extra 20 minutes longer because you can't find a chance to actually shoot him) and other missions are just go from point a to point b. There's some visual set pieces here and there but no gameplay flare to really give the missions some distinction from each other. The only mission in the game that is interesting at all is one where you get to swing a sword around like a mad man and kill a load of enemies with it; that's how you do a good mission. Unfortunately the rest of them don't contain cool things like the sword and fall into mediocrity. 

Destiny is surprisingly short as well. If someone went through and solely tried to complete the story missions it would probably take only around 4-6 hours. Of course all the side content extends this but by only around 14-20 hours in I've already done every mission this game has to offer that isn't extremely hard or a 6 person raid. Meaning that I've been replaying the same mission over and over to get better gear. This is bad for a game like this; I'm already bored of the majority of missions in this game, and putting them on a higher difficulty doesn't make it any more fun.

While I have beaten the game I'm still working on the endgame material so these are still my impressions of the game. I'm hoping that the end game raids really play out better than the rest of the missions and raids in the game. The game is really fun so far but isn't perfect by a long shot. It seems like they made the game purposely short just to make sure people bought the expansion pass, which is a foul move on their part. The game, while fun, just doesn't have enough content to justify weeks worth of playtime. Also I'm just now getting into the crucible, and it's not really the heart of the game at all. I'll post up my final thoughts later when I've really played this game up until it's last breath in my console. 

destiny-0-820x420.jpg

• LU1J1X likes this

S1LLYSQU1R3LZ

S1LLYSQU1R3LZ

Flexible Member & MC

• VG Prestige 1
  • 455 posts

The premise was really so that Bungie could move away from Sci-Fi stories and move more towards fantasy which is what they did, the actual lore of the game is far better than the ingame Story IMO. Peter Dinklage's VA was a bit pants though, he didn't really sound very enthusiastic about things.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

- Rocky Balboa

(Thanks eFunk for the sig)

Guest_Lostmixup_*

Guest_Lostmixup_*
  • Forum Guest

The premise was really so that Bungie could move away from Sci-Fi stories and move more towards fantasy which is what they did, the actual lore of the game is far better than the ingame Story IMO. Peter Dinklage's VA was a bit pants though, he didn't really sound very enthusiastic about things.

It still doesn't excuse the fact that the game doesn't explain anything in-game. It's great that it has wonderful lore, but so does Elder Scrolls and Star Wars; it doesn't change the fact that the story itself isn't told well at all. If they wanted to move towards fantasy, then they spectacularly failed in the main game. They really could have had the story's writing be fantastic along with it's lore. It would have been awesome if they could have incorporated the lore into the game (perhaps through digital logs) because as of right now the lore is just there.

Guest_EscapingOblivion_*

Guest_EscapingOblivion_*
  • Forum Guest

I really enjoyed the campaign for a very simple reason, it showed me the amazing world Bungie has created. While the storytelling fell short over and over (I dont think I understood a single thing of the things I was trying to accomplish in the story) The first part made sense, (except the very first scene), "We need to get you a weapon, we need to get you a ship, we need to get you a device for you ship that will let you travel to other planets". After that it leaps between stories and reasons for doing things, and I was lost. BUT, I did get a nice walkthrough through the entire world they have created, and personally I adore the world design, and shooting stuff along the way is great fun.

In terms of boss fights, I do want more tactics involved. Most boss fights, especially Ishtar Sink *spelling* on Venus is just a drag. *SPOILERS* The weak spot of the boss is in his face, and shoot it once or twice and he will turn to you and blast your whole area with some sort of plasma artillery; take cover or you are dead in seconds. While you are pinned down, the rest of your team cant really attack the weak spot either, as the boss is either turned away from them, or has the half circle protective shield.

I much more enjoy the fights of Devils Lair (earth) and The Summoning Pits (the moon), as they actually require you to move around and adapt to the situation every other second.

Im currently level 25, struggling to find legendary gear to move forward, as the only gear im getting is for the wrong class or same weapon types over and over. But I do find it fun to simply play the game, and shoot things. For me, the fact that its so much fun to just shoot stuff in any given situation saves the game for me. Im enjoying myself at all times when playing, as long as I get to shoot stuff regularly (as opposed to Ishtar Sink, which is shoot 2 bullets then take cover)

It seems that Bungie is prepared for the "short" game tho and has events coming already, the raid came out yesterday and there are more events coming soon, perhaps this will keep it interesting?

S1LLYSQU1R3LZ

S1LLYSQU1R3LZ

Flexible Member & MC

• VG Prestige 1
  • 455 posts

It still doesn't excuse the fact that the game doesn't explain anything in-game. It's great that it has wonderful lore, but so does Elder Scrolls and Star Wars; it doesn't change the fact that the story itself isn't told well at all. If they wanted to move towards fantasy, then they spectacularly failed in the main game. They really could have had the story's writing be fantastic along with it's lore. It would have been awesome if they could have incorporated the lore into the game (perhaps through digital logs) because as of right now the lore is just there.

It is still a brand new IP though making it difficult to get the story right straight away.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

- Rocky Balboa

(Thanks eFunk for the sig)

Guest_Lostmixup_*

Guest_Lostmixup_*
  • Forum Guest

It is still a brand new IP though making it difficult to get the story right straight away.

That is no excuse.

Guest_Ahelpfulhobo_*

Guest_Ahelpfulhobo_*
  • Forum Guest

Just gona post this:

Here

socalghost

socalghost

Community Member

• Community Member
  • 245 posts
The game is Ok, not brilliant or groundbreaking it's just Ok.
Pain is weakness leaving the body! :yikes:

Guest_alphascout777_*

Guest_alphascout777_*
  • Forum Guest
Somethings are just not meant to be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Destiny, Bungie, Impressions, Review, #DTMedkit