Tritton 720+

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

VG Sav

VG Sav

Community Member

• Community Member
  • 1,395 posts

For those of you who don’t know, The Tritton brand of headsets are made by Madcatz. Madcatz is commonly known for their alternate controllers, and when I was a child, I remember using their controllers that had “turbo” buttons. These controllers were, and are still primarily considered cheating in the video game world. In single player games, no one really cares. But in online multiplayer games, use of such buttons is highly frowned upon and if you’re caught using them, temporary bans are not unheard of.

With that in mind, headsets, though they give you an advantage over other players, is NOT frowned upon in online multiplayer communities, and is not considered cheating, even though there are different levels of quality when it comes to these devices, and some give a greater advantage then others. For instance, some have surround sound, and some do not.

If you’ve never used a headset while playing a game such as Call of Duty, then you are truly missing a large portion of the experience. I purchased a pair of Turtle Beach PX21’s a couple years ago for Modern Warfare 3, and was astonished by all of the different sounds I never noticed before. Call of Duty Ghosts has brought the level of sound to a new level, with accurate effects for indoor and outdoor shooting and accurate in game character call outs. Not to mention the ability to actually hear your enemy coming.

Santa Claus brought me my Tritton 720+’s in his personal favorite color of red. There are three colors to choose from, the other’s being black and white. The box is professionally packaged, appearing to be a very premium product, though the price was on the low end of the premium range. After unpackaging, I discovered there are A LOT of wires, way more than my aforementioned TBs. There is also a decoder box, about the size of a small modem, where all of the wires run into and out of. Though there were so many wires, after hooking everything up, I realized not all of the wires were necessarily needed, for they included different wires for different gaming system compatibility.

The headset itself is only slightly heavier than my TBs, however they certainly have a sturdier feel. The plastic is thicker, the padding is leather, and there is a lot more going on in the actual headphone. The ear cuffs are a square-ish shape, and I was a little afraid before trying them on that they wouldn’t fully cover my ears. No fear, however, they fit just fine. The leather is much more comfortable then the cloth lining of my TBs, and it does a better job of keeping outside sound out, which can be a good thing when your wife is yelling at you to stop cursing at the game. However, due to long sessions, initially, the skin behind my ears broke out in a small rash after about 3 or 4 days of use, and the rash lasted about a week. Though initially a concern, the rash has not returned, and it has been over a month.

The sound quality, in my opinion, is top notch. Though I have never used the super premium Astro brand headsets, and the Xbox One still does not have full surround sound capabilities yet, I feel like I can hear everything. I can tell which direction an enemy is coming from, and even whether or not they’re behind me, above me, or below me. My TBs could sure help determine left or right, but never before was I able to turn around and shoot a knife wielding lightweight/marathon runner trying to sneak up behind me until I put these Tritton’s on my head. Everything else in game is crystal clear and it’s only going to get better when the Xbox gets it’s act together.  They’re perfect for PC use too, even though they simply hook in using the USB cable. Music sounds amazing, YT videos sound amazing, and voice chat is crystal clear.

The mic, however, has left a lot to be desired. I do like that I can simply unscrew it from the headset, so it doesn’t always have to be right next to my face. However, I can’t yet pinpoint whether it’s just me, or a low quality mic. At times, I sound like I’m standing 15 feet away from it. You can hear it sometimes in my YT videos. I have to keep my voice down sometimes when I’m up late trying to record a voice over for my video. However, with the mic so close to my face, you should be able to make out what I’m saying without me having to crank the volume in the editing process. There’s an option to turn on and off the ability to hear yourself in your headset as you’re talking (something the TBs didn’t have, you had to listen to yourself whether you liked it or not) and I always sound, to me at least, like I’m coming in clear. But it may just be I just need to speak up more. I do have a tendency to mumble. It could just also be my computer settings and I need to adjust my mic volume. I’m not quite sure. I’ve never had any of my teammates complain and say they couldn’t hear me. I’m very interested to see how well it works with in game chat, and then I will be able to better determine exactly what the problem is. The other thing I need to mention is how absolutely easy it is to breath into the mic. If my mic was turned a certain way, it could sometimes sound like I was playing in a tornado. I stole a windscreen off of one of my old PC mics, and the problem was remedied. Really, that is something that should probably have been included with the headset.

Overall, for a wired headset, $150 sounds a little steep. However, for the quality of sound that you get, I think it’s worth every penny. I’m sure there’s wireless headsets that do similar, or maybe even slightly better quality. But you’re going to pay double for them. Personally, what keeps me buying wired headsets, is the fear of them not being charged when I want to use them. And of course, with any rechargeable device, the battery life becomes shorter and shorter as time passes. I use my headset every day, and would highly recommend to anyone, as long as you’re sitting close enough, to stick with wired. And if you’re going to stick with wired, you should pick up the Tritton 720+ headset. Though the mic may have it’s shortcomings (or my human error is making it appear that way,) the quality of sound coming from the ear cups is truly something you need to experience and see for yourself what a difference it can make.

Oathkeeper1991

Oathkeeper1991

Community Member

• Community Member
  • 511 posts
I just got my tritton 720+ Wednesday and I love it! It was much better than my Sony pulse stereo headset, my previous set, and can hear both the game and friends voices more vivid and concise. The mic was a problem cause I didn't like hearing myself breathing on it and had to angle it the right direction. The option to hear yourself is great cause it prevents me from talking too loud around people in the house. Talking without this setup sounds weird to me, like my voice sound muffled or blocked by something. My old headset was rechargeable and wireless, however, over time it everything started to lack its performance such as stereo sound, battery life and difficult of others hearing my voice. I recommend this headset for anyone who want to hear the any game like never before.

Posted Image

Guest_LlCo0lJ343_*

Guest_LlCo0lJ343_*
  • Forum Guest
I have the 720 and in my opinion they could have been made better, I've had trouble with my optical cable not working and the wire from the headset is being stripped, sent them in once and got a new one same issues as the last. They'll be good for a couple of months but in all they are decent

DreamingSheep

DreamingSheep

Admin Advisor & MC+

• Admin Advisor
  • 1,695 posts

I had the 720 too (not 720+) and while I did like them, the mic gradually deteriorated to the point where I'd have to disconnect it from the headset every hour otherwise it would create a high pitched noise that everyone else could hear (not me though :)).

If they've managed to fix that with the 720+, it's a pretty good headset and a fantastic write up, one which I agree on with regards to headset audio trumping other options, very nicely put Sav.

SA.pngXO.pngDO.pngCC.pngAdmin.png

Guest_JudgeCuddles_*

Guest_JudgeCuddles_*
  • Forum Guest
I'm out to get a headset in two weeks but it looks like I'll have to rethink my options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cluskey

Cluskey

Inactive

• Inactive
  • 1,942 posts
Previously owned the old ax720s lasted 18months of hard abuse but worth every penny. Sound quality was great, long leads and easy to use. Yes they broke but that was my negligence, broke the mic rotating lock so had to stick it with blue tac, dropped them on a stone floor and had the right ear taped together, eventually i got them tangled in my desk chairs wheels and somehow snapped the cable

I now have a pair of the 2nd gen ax Pro, once again tritton quality is brilliant, only issue is when using them on PC with teamspeak theres a high pitch whistle in the background that only the user gan hear, so for pc i got a pair of corsair vengence, which are on par with the trittons without the whistle but im not sure on their console compatibility

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image