Thirteen Months And Counting.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

RipleyExile

RipleyExile

Flexible Member

• VG Prestige 2
  • 2,730 posts
I thought about doing this at around 6 months in VG, but then decided that maybe it wasn't long enough. I've seen a few testimonials at 1 year and I've decided that im not going to buck the trend, so here's mine.

BF3 was my first online multiplayer gaming experience and have been with it since release. I did try a bit of Black Ops, but to be honest, I didn't get on with it. Being the age I am my reflexes aren't what they used to be and I prefer to be part of a team, so I pre-ordered Battlefield. As it was my first title online I sucked straight from the off and was getting regularly burried at the bottom of every leaderboard. I played almost exclusively as Engineer figuring that as I wasn't an outright killing machine, at least I could help with the vehicles. I carried on like this through the initial stages of the games lifetime, but got increasingly frustrated with my lack of ability and the teams I was playing alongside.

Skyrim was released and I left the battlefield to spend the next 4 to 5 months questing and fighting dragons. I returned to BF3 in April of 2012 to find that somehow I was better at the game and was no longer stuck to the bottom of the tables, but actually winning games was still very hit and miss.

June rolled around and I was about to put the game down again for good. However, just a few weeks before this I had found Luetin's channel and had subscribed. It was Luetin that ultimately kept me playing because he happened to mention his clan in a video and shortly after that he posted a recruitment video for VG. I was interested in applying as it sounded like the type of clan I would like to play with, i.e. non competitive, friendly and I may actually learn and develop as a player. I applied figuring I could just disappear if I didn't like it.

I was placed in Chimaera with dappa as my SL and was nervously ready to play my first match as part of VG. dappa and the rest of the guys in the squad at the time made me put all my nerves and apprehensions away as they were friendly and didn't judge me, or my abilities and I was instantly glad I had joined. Unfortunately for me I only lasted in Chimaera for 2 weeks and then Posiedon for 1 week due to the big influx of new members. Within a month I was in the brand new Shinobi squad with Camberwell_Carot as SL and YiFungi as SA. The experience was the same and we gelled as a squad (despite Yi's love of trolling teammates (mainly me) with smoke), had fun and learned stuff from each other. This has always been the case with Shinobi and I am very happy to be a part of that.

Thanks to VG I now play more than conquest, although I'm still not a massive fan of rush. I've learnt quite a bit and my gunplay is steadily improving and this has been facilitated by the skill and support of the community. I'm moving higher up the scoreboard and even play recon every now 'n' again (accuracy still sucks to run with a bolt action though). I've met some great guys during my time here and it's good to be at last playing with a real team of skilled players that work for the win, but also have fun. If it wasn't for VG and everyone here I would have moved on long ago, but now I'm hyped and really looking forward to playing BF4 on the PS4 with VG.

As is customary with speeches I'd like to thank Luetin for that video and his continued efforts putting videos together. Dappa for making me feel welcome and everything he's done since. Also, DT for everything you do, the Mike myers nights, and also for finding me messing around on my own on Ziba Tower on a VG Server and inviting me to play with the Rangers. That was the first time I played with anyone outside my squad and with the 1st battalion. Also, Dommo, Dingo, YiFungi, Camberwell, Razor, Burger, Timeless, Optic, MacGruber, Farq, mimbulu5, all Shinobi past and present and anyone else I've met along the way.
  • gw_prophet likes this

Posted Image

Guest_McChubbin89_*

Guest_McChubbin89_*
  • Forum Guest
nice testimonial ripley i have enjoyed playing with you so far it has been a laugh. see you on the battlefield!
  • RipleyExile likes this

lTimeless

lTimeless

Validation Officer

• Validations Manager
  • 575 posts

another long text... just kidding Ripley nice testimonial, its always a pleasure playing and talking with you, even if you sometimes forget to turn on you mic  lmao

• RipleyExile likes this

Posted Image

RipleyExile

RipleyExile

Flexible Member

• VG Prestige 2
  • 2,730 posts
It's the longest bit of typing I've ever done on an iphone Timeless.

I turn my mic off to save you guys having to listen to the phone ring, or MrsExile moaning about something. My forgetful nature just means I don't turn it back on again sometimes, but like I say, talking to myself is the only conversation I have that makes any sense sometimes.

Posted Image

Guest_Dommo7_*

Guest_Dommo7_*
  • Forum Guest

Oh Ripples :') 

Some of my funniest memories involve me, you, battlefield and the early hours of the morning. Your sense of wit and comedic timing always have me in stitches and the fact that I can play just about anything with you and talk for hours about anything and everything are all things that made me realize alot of VG are not just guys on the internet but friends. 

I got sentimental... apologies. 

I'm sure I'll be bitter and douchey to counter it at some point :P 

• RipleyExile likes this

RipleyExile

RipleyExile

Flexible Member

• VG Prestige 2
  • 2,730 posts
Ripples?! That's a new one.

I love you too man. :')

Posted Image

Luetin

Luetin

Admin Ret.

• VG Prestige 2
  • 4,296 posts

This is really great to hear again I am really enjoying all these testimonals and I hope we get more and more from all the members. Its going to help me a lot to have these when I make a new recruit video for VG soon :D

Glad youre enjoying so much Ripley.. VG :D Working as intended.

• RipleyExile likes this

"A desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world”

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

DynamiteTiger

DynamiteTiger

Management Team

• Administrators
  • 8,004 posts
  • Timezone:MST
Cheers ripley! Glad to have you part of the community. I didnt realize that was the first time you played with other VGs. I hope youre playing with others more often now. :)
  • RipleyExile likes this

Thedappa07

Thedappa07

Community Member

• Community Member
  • 2,229 posts

thanks ripley for writing this, much love, see you on the Battlefield. you have been a real help with new members and getting them used to squads thanks :D

and tell Yi to stop trolling lol he tee bagged me the other night!

• RipleyExile likes this

gw_prophet

gw_prophet

Community Member

• Community Member
  • 390 posts

this was yet another awesome story and i really appreciate how much you guys are enjoying the community as i have as well. i hope to be able to see you on at some point in the coming months even if its ps4 so we can get some game time in haha

• RipleyExile likes this
Posted Image

Guest_YiFungi_*

Guest_YiFungi_*
  • Forum Guest

Really nice read and well written Ripley. 

• RipleyExile likes this