• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

DynamiteTiger

DynamiteTiger

Management Team

• Administrators
  • 8,004 posts
  • Timezone:MST
So the wife dls the demo for this game and asks me to try it with her. From the looks of the graphics, I thought I was in for a kids game. It actually turned out to be a jolly good time. Pun intended. Its a very English game, but myself being a fan of UK comedy I found it quite entertaining.
If you don't like puzzles or memory skill tests then you may not like this game. It definitely has a Clue type of feeling to it.
We played a two player game, (it allows up to four players), on one controller. I have to assume you can play on two controllers, but haven't tried it yet. The game does also support the PS Move so if you have it and play the game, feel free to add your experience with it here.
The puzzles were quite differed and entertaining. Even though it was supposed to be a competition we found each other helping one another to solve the puzzles. I'd say about half of them were math related and the other half random things. I won't give away much concerning the puzzles but will say this: the most entertaining one was trying to make sense of the gibberish an old lady was blurbing when describing her handbag that had been lost. Each puzzle or quiz about the facts of the case has medals to aquire and trophies for gold. To get gold in some you have to solve the puzzle in 1:15 or less which is quite challenging when you only have one go at it.
Throughout the different animated monologues it says in the top corner, "press 'square' to replay scene". Honestly, the only reason I would go back would be to get my facts straight 100% as its more fun to just wing it and test your knowledge, however it is nice that the developer added the feature in case you were after all the trophies. Not that it was that difficult. We did both choose the correct suspect in the end, but didn't get gold on every puzzle since some were quite challenging. Though we never used the "replay scene" feature, I would hope that the following episodes will be complicated enough that I would feel the need to.
We just purchased the upgrade bundle which seems to me to be reasonable at $14.99. I'll follow through with a second review and let you know if its worth the buy, although some how I think I'm not going to be disappointed.

DynamiteTiger

DynamiteTiger

Management Team

• Administrators
  • 8,004 posts
  • Timezone:MST
Played another 3 or 4 episodes of this game and had a good time. If you're a fan of "Whodunnit?" mysteries you'll like this game. The puzzles become even more challenging as you progress. I suggest having a calculator nearby for some of the tougher math related puzzles. Once you've completed a mystery episode you can go back and play the puzzles or mystery again seperately. This was handy in getting all gold in some of the tougher puzzles. The one thing I wish the game had was a more free roam style, as it is quite linear. (Question suspect a,b,c, and d, go back for more questions etc.) They do a great job in keeping you interested though as each case has a mystery to solve and each case also contributes to the conspiracy of the game you're trying to solve as well.
Overall I'd give it a 6/10.

Luetin

Luetin

Admin Ret.

• VG Prestige 2
  • 4,296 posts
I meant to comment on this yesterday DT.

I think its such a great thing that people can see past a games apparant simplicity in either graphics or gameplay and find something that is simply fun to enjoy with each other. So often gaming has to be about astonishing graphics or a movie quality script. Its great to just find a nice simple game that you can get on with and enjoy or even better share as you have done.

There are guaranteed to be some Gems out there that people have overlooked for the reason it looked too simple or so on.

Lets not forget that one of the most famous games of all time involved turning different shaped blocks around and placing them in rows. You cant get more simple in graphics or gameplay of that for a game and its still on my PSP right now.

Great post DT I think everyone should recommend a simple unknown game like this for others to consider

"A desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world”

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image